Sunday, March 8, 2009

Butter Lane Cupcakes


SO MANY CHOICES?????

Key Lime, The Elvis, Vanilla Vanilla


SUPER DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!


Let's start with the name of this cupcake place BUTTER LANE! There is the word butter in the title but funny enough it was named after a real street not because some really sharp marketing person came up with a perfect name. I heard about this new spot in the East Village (7th st. between 1st ave. & avenue A) from my friend Lisa's fiance Eric who was doing a radio piece on the new venture. Originally, I thought it was all custom like Cookies & Milk but then realized it is more like one of those paint your own pottery places with the set pieces that you can add color & life to.

Butter Lane is this cute country type place with 3 different flavor cakes to choose from (vanilla, chocolate, banana) and roughly 12 different frostings to choose from. The best and perhaps most dangerous part of the whole thing is that you are allowed to try every single flavor of frosting before choosing. People who know me well know that the more choices I have the more complicated choosing becomes for me because ultimately, I am always searching for the perfect tasting bite. Intellectually I know that the bite won't be my first or last chance to taste something but just as the saying goes, "you only have 1 chance to make a first impression" which is what my taste buds think. That first bite has a big impact on my sense memory and is perhaps "too" important to me but foodies will understand.

Besides the custom choices, there seems to be a daily special. I chose "The Elvis" which was very moist banana cake with peanut butter icing and a mini marshmallow on top. Of course Sonya and I went together and we wanted to try more than 1 for comparison sake (HA HA HA) so the other choices were key lime and vanilla vanilla (Sonya's litmus test for cupcakes). The results were overall great but my favorite was the Elvis since the cake ws the moistest and the combo of banana with peanut butter is such a classic. The first bite was so great, it caused me to make the funniest face which when replicated for the photo looked like I was drunk so we just deleted the picture.

Of course our visit was made all the more special by the entertaining staff. I have been back and the cake was not as fresh (dry) as the first time but it was the end of the night. I will of course have many more opportunities to eat the BUTTER LANE cupcakes, the one I am looking forward to the most will be as the wedding cakes for my friends Lisa & Eric.

1 comment:

  1. I could barely read this article because they looked so good and I am so hungry right now!

    ReplyDelete