Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cupcakes Strike Again

I would like to blame yesterdays cupcake eating on the pregnancy but I can't get away with that excuse because I have been eating them long before the baby. The only thing I can say to justify my eating of 1 1/2 cupcakes in one day is that the rest of the day I ate very light (fruits,vegetables, baked fish). My friend Amie who is also a dietitian and I met for lunch yesterday by Bloomingdale's department store. It occurred to me after we made the plan that Sprinkles Cupcakes just opened 1 block from where we were having lunch. Of course I could not pass up the opportunity to buy one or two and to see if they tasted as I remembered them tasting about 6 years ago.

The original Sprinkles opened in Beverly Hills California at the time when I was living nearby. Before I tasted my first Sprinkles cupcake my dear friend Suzanne used to say that she had dreams about their red velvet cupcakes. Now that is a pretty strong statement to make about any baked goods. Of course I had to eat one and then I was hooked just like Suzanne. I am a person who likes major variety which does not serve me well because Sprinkles has so many flavors and they are very smart by putting up a calendar of what flavors will be baked on specific days. This forces people like myself to make planned trips to the bakery.

Yesterday being June 8th, I was pleasantly surprised to see one of my favorite flavors pumpkin on the menu. I could not imagine eating just one so I got two and again justified it to myself that I would share them with my husband. The dirty dietitian in me got pumpkin selfishly knowing that my husband George hates pumpkin. I have to confess that I did not mention the pumpkin cupcake to him but I will. The end result was that the Sprinkles cupcakes tasted exactly like I remembered and they are in my opinion the best cupcakes that I have had in NYC.  Even George really enjoyed the key lime cupcake and he is not really a big fan of cupcakes. The cupcakes are heavy in weight and the cake part is very moist and dense. The frosting is a perfect balance of sweet where some other places make them too sweet (Magnolia). Also the ratio of cake to frosting is just near perfect. Okay so clearly I just professed my love for a cupcake which is pretty sad but I will do it again and again as long as Sprinkles keeps putting out a superior product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment